Racing Staff Development Programme
The Racing Staff Development Programme (RSDP) aims to improve the skills of racing’s staff, especially work riding, horse care and husbandry. It is expected that improved skills will support staff career
development and progression, promote job satisfaction, and improve recruitment and retention, helping address industry staffing challenges.
The RSDP seeks to achieve this through:
- Training and qualifications to become a Rider Coach.
- Work rider training, using specially equipped training vehicles to deliver training by qualified Rider Coaches in yards incorporating arena, gallop and bespoke training, for example stalls training and jump schooling, care and horse husbandry.
- Fitness and team building events.
- Rider coaching.
- Development programmes for senior staff, for example mentoring courses.
- Bespoke yard-based groom training to address identified skills gaps, for example long reining workshops.
The provision is open to anyone within the racing industry and covers the UK, including working in partnership with the Scottish Racing Academy.
The RSDP is coordinated and delivered through the National Horseracing College, in partnership with the British Horseracing Authority and supported by the British Racing School and Scottish Racing Academy.